top of page
  • Writer's pictureCreimerman Product Team

Brazil, Mexico, Portugal: 3 Countries that offer instant citizenship by marriage.

Did you know that by finding love you can get your citizenship in another country?

In this article we are going to provide you with all you need to know about 3 Countries that offer instant citizenship by marriage.

In some countries marriage to a local offers a fast track that reduces the timeline to naturalization. You generally still need to put in some time there, but it could be far less substantial and may not even require you to pay a lot of taxes.


As a permanent resident of Brazil, you can apply for naturalization after four years of “uninterrupted residence” and strong ties to Brazil. However, those who have a Brazilian spouse qualify to apply for a second citizenship after just one year of uninterrupted residence in the country.

Having immediate family ties entitles you to Brazilian citizenship within one year. That means citizenship by marriage is possible, just as it is by giving birth or adopting a child.

Simply being married to a native Brazilian can be equally beneficial for claiming a second passport. Brazil has been noted for not extraditing its own citizens while they are on Brazilian soil, however this only applies to natural-born Brazilians.


While you can’t obtain Mexican citizenship through any economic citizenship, you can shave three years off the normal naturalization process and obtain a Mexican passport through marriage.

As the spouse of a Mexican, regardless of their gender because the country recognizes gay marriage, you are entitled to apply for naturalization after just two years of living with that spouse in Mexico.

The Mexican passport is a pretty good travel document, ranking as one of the 25 best passports in the world with visa-free access to 133 countries, including the entire Schengen Area of Europe.


As in neighboring Spain, Portugal requires those who obtain Portuguese residency to live in the country for at least six years before applying for a passport. However, those married to a Portuguese citizen can apply for naturalization more quickly.

However, those married to a Portuguese citizen, or even in a relationship with one can apply for naturalization after three years of marriage or cohabitation. The process doesn’t even require you to actually spend time on Portuguese soil, meaning you could live overseas with a Portuguese spouse and still qualify.

However, while the process is often easier on foreigner spouses, naturalization does require you to learn some of the Portuguese language and have ties to the country.

So, if you are interested in finding out more about Citizenship by investment program and its opportunities to develop business, contact us today! Below this article, you will find a link to set up a free fifteen-minute consultation with us to discuss your options further.

Also, if you want to access our other great content, subscribe to our YouTube channel! At Creimerman, our team of professional global citizens would be happy to help you with your personal or professional cross-border ventures and help make them a success.



bottom of page